Tuesday, June 4, 2013

A Better Experience Day Two Mendability

Well, last night Jacob and I went into the Mendability program and was able to finish the last 50% of the analysis with more success than the first day.

I was nervous, to say the least about whether he was going to comply. The questions were not making him happy especially if I did not agree with his answers.


I wanted him to be the one who answered the questions considering his age. I feel that he should be as independent as possible and after reviewing the questions, felt he could answer them appropriately. Some of the questions, he tried to make "not a problem" when, in fact, they are problems. This is where we had an issue the first day.




However, we started with the questions again and it only took us 30 minutes to finish the questions where the first half took  longer and was not as pleasant or productive as this session. We agreed on most of the answers with a few exceptions. I decided to handle it differently and rather than just state "No, you do have this issue", I would bring up very specific situations to show how the question related to him. Then, he seemed more receptive to agreeing that he may have issues in that particular area.

We actually had a good time filling out the remaining areas of the analysis and was able to joke around about some of the questions as we discussed specific instances. We laughed about memories and it was a good time.

Even though it only took 30 minutes to complete the analysis, Jacob was becoming restless and wanted to stop. After the analysis was complete, it brought up several exercises for us to try. There were videos to show how to do the exercises and a printable explanation as well. Jacob did  not want to view the videos at that time. He stated he was finished for the time being.

When I decided to use the Mendability program, I felt it was important, at Jacob's age, to follow his lead. So, rather than push him into continuing, I said "Okay, we will view them later"

As he is still asleep, I am going to go into the program and watch the videos. He wanted me to wait for him but I want to be able to explain and answer any questions he may have when we watch the videos. I also need to go to the store and gather some of the materials needed. To Be Continued...

Regards,
~ Holley Jacobs