Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Transition Starting Day

Transition Starting Day

One Word – UUUUGGGGHHH!!!! Anyone who knows me will tell you that I will fight until the death for my child. They will tell you that I am relentless and probably, at times, embarrassing. Other descriptions include doing whatever is necessary to protect him, even if it means moving 1500 miles away from home (dig...) for his education needs or spending hours on the internet finding laws and interpreting them in order to protect his rights, not just as a child who has special needs, but a child...period. I have made him my number one priority since conception and will always do so.


Today was the first “Transition Meeting” at school and needless to say, if you read the first sentence of this post, I would venture to say you may realize that I am a tad frazzled. No need to worry that is for sure, my son will receive services that will enable him to fulfill his goals just as a neuro-typical youth does. I had to fight tooth and nail in Virginia, however, it wasn’t until this topic and meeting that I have had issues in Nebraska.

One would think that transitioning a graduating student into the multi-facet world of adulthood would rate pretty high on a school’s list of “to do” correctly. I am finding that is not always the case, even here. One of my best attributes (ask those who know me) is being resourceful. I have had to be. I don’t have tons of money to afford private school or lawyers to fight for Jacob. I play all of those roles and I do it with pride, love, and the attention that any child should receive.

Last Friday, I had it out with a few members of the school staff and laid it on the table that my child would be receiving proper services to visualize, plan, and achieve his goal of being a video game designer and getting a degree in 3-D animation. He is like me in this way, reaching for the stars at all costs.

DREAM BIG! CONQUER ANYTHING!



Of course, when the school knows that you know your rights and that you are there to fight if necessary, everyone shows up for the meeting so the table was full. I accomplish and focus on these meetings with tact, respect, and attempt to facilitate a collaborative team effort as every IEP meeting should focus. The meeting went better than I expected. I guess I got through to the right people on Friday. Today, everyone seemed to be on the same page...that would be, “Jacob’s Page” so I was happy about that. He took the time to stay calm and participate in the meeting like a champ. He was polite, cooperative, intelligent, and made me very proud. He owned up to his faults and pointed out others with the direct, honest, but fair way in which I have taught him.

I have been teaching Jacob to be advocate for himself since he was in 6th grade. He has been to every IEP meeting since then and has learned a lot over the years. He and I even designed a PowerPoint disclosing his disabilities that he shares each year with his new teachers. The example hasn’t been updated in a few years but you will get the idea. The PowerPoint discusses his diagnoses, his treatment, his personal symptoms, and ways that teachers can help him during these times. This has been a great way for him to self-advocate, learn his medicines, and become more independent. Now, going in to his senior year, he is a pro at presenting it. Each year, we update the information and he now enjoys getting up in front of teachers. He always gets lots of questions and even more praise for his knowledge and courage to do this.

I have a lot more to say about transitioning. I plan on making a mission to find out as much as possible and use this blog to share my experience, knowledge, and resources I find.  My findings, from past experiences are that if I am having a problem in an area of special education or services for children and youth with disabilities then there are probably many others as well. I am so encouraged and excited about this topic that there is no stopping at the amount of knowledge that you will gain by walking with me down the "transitioning path".

A special thanks goes to Ms. Susan Williams at PTI-Nebraska who shared INVALUABLE information with me to assist in advocating for my child and Adam from Arc of Lincoln who came to the meeting as a community member and whose presence gave me so much support that he will never comprehend. 

However, when parents are sitting at a table that is full of staff from the school and the district, the one piece of advice I have to share right now is to view them as collaborators on your child's team, treat them as such, but have people there such as Adam whose attendance gives one hope that life for our children can be just as wonderful as we imagined. 

So, sign up for email posts or visit often. We would love to hear your stories.

How have you prepared your teen for transitioning?

Regards,

~ Holley Jacobs