Thursday, February 25, 2016

Amnesia Verses Dead Space


I love horror games. There's two horror games that I love but scare me a lot. Amnesia: The Dark Descent and the first Dead Space. If I had to choose the game that I liked more and scares me more, it's got to be Amnesia.


First, the monsters. All the monsters scare me. The water monster specifically. You never see what it looks like and you have to keep from falling in the water or your dead. For example, it was the first time I had played the game and I reached the water monster part. It scared me so bad I almost peed myself. I died a couple of times before I got past the monster. And all the monsters are unique as well.

Second, the atmosphere. It gives you the feeling that you are alone and you have to go by yourself. It is even quite creepy at the main menu. The music plays and you get a chill up your spine. For example, I had booted up the game and the main menu music started playing. I shivered in fear and excitement. I got in the game and at first, the music played. But after a while, it kinda stopped. It freaked me out. I kept hearing noises that weren't real. It truly gave me the feeling that I was alone.

Third, you can't defend yourself. Yes. You heard right. You can't defend yourself. All you can do is run and hide. That's the big difference between Dead Space and Amnesia. In Dead Space, you can defend yourself. In Amnesia, you can't. That's the big reason why it scares me more. For example, I had tried to find a weapon and defend myself. That didn't work out. After a couple times, I realized I couldn't defend myself. It gives you the impression that the monsters are much stronger than you and you can't fight them. And it gives you the feeling that your character is an everyday guy. Not superhero or something along those lines.

Now if you want a game that allows you to defend yourself and it scares you most of the time, choose Dead Space. But if you want a game that requires you to be smart and cunning, choose Amnesia. But I think Amnesia is the better game personally.

Signing Out,
Phoenix