Thursday, February 25, 2016

Up - Date Day Five

Good Morning To All,

I just wanted to briefly keep up to date. Jacob has been very ill for almost 2 weeks. He has asthma and allergies and the change in the seasons, at times, affects him. So, we have spent quite a bit of time at Doctor's office and lots of bed rest. I apologize as this blog is meant to be "in real time" and I should have shared earlier.


Jacob and I are very excited about Mendability. We finished our testing shortly before Jacob got ill and had a discussion about the videos and things we are asked to do. Jacob, as I stated was not so keen on some of the details of treatment.

It is nice to know those at Mendability have invested their time in this therapy but more importantly seeing and making real changes in people's lives. So many times, those in need are given up on at some point but the "Instructors" at Mendability are wonderful people inside and out.

I was speaking to them about Jacob's reservations about some of the videos and how we are supposed to do each exercise. I will admit that I forgot a KEY part of  any kind of therapy, whether for Autism or any other affliction. In fact, it is probably truer to say that no therapy is ever EXACTLY the same for all. Little tweaks need to be made. But, one thing is for sure, I would rather tweak Mendability's exercises then putting my son on dozens of medications that always need to be "tweaked" too.

I thank those at Mendability to helped me not only helped me realize that but also brainstormed with me and have the guidance on how to make Mendability's treatment tailored for Jacob. I have it all written down and ready to move along. But as I think I have stated in the past, I am on Jacob's "time", not my own. That was a key factor from before Jacob was ever diagnosed.

We were able to get some fragrance smells in the pillow case which he tolerated fine and listening to music is good too. Jacob is like me in that he LOVES music. He and I both love all sorts of music. It is a wonderful thing to have something in common with your child especially a mom and son.I may not be able to "talk shop" with him about video games but we do communicate pretty well about music.

I am thankful for Mendabilty and the people and forum that they offer on their site. I think Jacob has some reservations but I intend on working those out with him. He and I have a good relationship and I think, once he starts more so into the therapy and I adjust it to fit him then he will feel better. Change has ALWAYS been a problem with Jacob. He does not like it and the older he gets, he gets "stuck in his ways".

I am confident though because he just saw me finishing this blog post and asked me if he could write one too. YEAH.....mom gets 1 score!! Jacob gets 10!!  To Be Continued....

Regards,
~ Holley Jacobs