Monday, February 29, 2016

Sometimes Teens With Asperger's And Social Awkwardness Gets The Pretty Cheerleder





Youth on the high-end spectrum of Autism, formerly known as Aspergers' usually has a higher degree of social awkwardness. This social awkwardness can be doubly hard if the youth doesn't get the positive response they seek. They will then resort to one of two areas - they will retreat to their rooms that are full of solitude and not face the issue of socialization or they will feel the need to dominate a conversation. They will take control of the situation which is not great either as this does not promote "a true give-and-take relationship" **Source


This video really touched me as it portrays many aspects of signs, symptoms, and issues that youth on the Autism Spectrum scale deal with on a daily basis. The first, and most enlightening, is the surprise, gratefulness, and pure joy that the boy shows after realizing what the cake question meant. The video also shows the empathy of some great high school students. It is also great to see that "The boy with Autism can still go to prom with a popular, cute cheerleader" which fills my heart with joy, pride, and hopefulness. Next, it is obvious that the young man is very surprised as if he doesn't believe what is happening. His response is one that seems awkward in some sense but, at the same time, similar to the same way a young man asked to prom by a pretty girl would react.

I decided to write about this topic because of a situation that happened between Jacob and myself. I have been designing websites for a couple of years, teaching myself as I go along. Currently, I am working on two different platforms that I have never used before. When I take on these challenges, I like all the feedback I can get especially since I am teaching myself.

So I called Jacob in the office recently to view a few different options I had developed. First, like many Aspies, he was completely honest with me. He made some remarks that I took as productive and as critical criticism but he felt bad after he told me the truth and started acting very nervous and anxious. I could see it in his body movements, eye contact, fake smile, repetition of the same sentences,  as he paced back and forth around my office, etc. Those are just Jacobs' tell-tale signs of being socially awkward. This scenario brought up some issues that I, as Jacob's parent, needed to deal with and help him overcome the symptoms he feels about being in social situations.

Transitioning in social situations for those with #Asperger's can add another layer to social awkwardness.
Tweet: #Transitioning in social situations for those with #Asperger's can add another layer to social awkwardness.


It is important as a parent or caregiver of someone on the Autism Spectrum (Jacob) to encourage being in social situations while walking a fine line between initiating social awkward anxiety and being productive in getting Jacob to feel comfortable. Starting with Asperger's groups and then to other social environments is what the authors of AsperTools recommend doing in this situation.  This is easier said than done and there are many parents (myself included) who feel that they are back to square one. Here in Lincoln, Nebraska, we have not received much help as to what Jacob's transition will be like after high school which is only a few months away.

Getting your young adult child with Aspergers' or "High Functioning Autism" on disability that they need to help them in the adult world can be a confusing and frustrating issue to deal with. I was fortunate in that where I live, the Social Security Office is great and helpful, explaining to me how the system works AND more importantly, assisting me in understanding Jacob's rights, the law, and how to go about obtaining services Jacob will need after high school.

Jacob and I have dealt with social awkwardness, not being able to make friends, and him feeling like no one at school listens to him (related to peers). His IEP (Individualized Education Plan) team and I decided the best way to handle the situation was to encourage him to join new afternoon groups. He also enjoys Film and German Club but he needed other places to practice his social skills. Now, I am proud to say that he has made progress, joined two more afternoon groups and seems to really enjoy himself. When I pick him up after the school groups, he normally has a smile on his face and I can tell immediately that his social awkwardness is not so prevalent. These groups are great right now while he is in high school, but what about after he graduates? How will I find and include him in appropriate groups and social gatherings that he can excel and practice his social skills? These are the questions that run through my mind as the end of one transition stops and another one is to begin.

What questions do you have about #Socialawkwardness in youth with #Autism?
Tweet: What questions do you have about #Socialawkwardness in youth with #Autism?

Awkward social skills are much of why those on the Autism spectrum are not successful in the adult world. When they graduate high school or reach 21 they are left to their own devices to find the support they once received in school through IEP (Individualized Education Plans) and school official support. Parents are left in a state of confusion, feeling that they are starting all over again to obtain services that their child (youth) needs to become a successful productive member of society. I am currently looking more into transitioning for youth from high school to the adult world and will share them as I come across potentially successful options.

If you know of social skills national groups for those who have #Asperger's, please leave them in the comment section. I will then compile all of the information into one section (book) etc. to help those who are living in my shoes at the moment. Thanks so much and I look forward to working through this potentially devastating problem for those who are on the high-end spectrum of Autism.

Regards, 
~ Holley Jacobs